Sunday, August 3, 2014

sixteen weeks*



  • The Baby:  Size of a turnip.  So far all of the routine prenatal tests have had good results and I have confirmed the presence of 2 arms and 2 legs via ultrasound.  I think I felt some movement once, but really I have no idea.  We find out the sex in ten days!  
  • How I Feel:  Still feeling great with no major complaints!  Starting to get a little uncomfortable at night, but this guy has fixed that.  Heartburn is starting to rear its ugly head as well as whatever pain you get in your sternum (either heartburn or my ribs moving apart??)  Overall though, I feel really good.
  • How Wes Feels:  Excited.  I think it is starting to feel more real to him as my belly grows.  He finally realized that I am not poking it out on purpose.  I think he is in for a shock as to how big it will get, as he already thinks my belly is "gigantic."
  • Weirdest Thing:  The stranger comments..."was this planned?"
  • Biggest Surprise So Far:  How everything already feels like a competition.  I am hyper aware of the "mommy wars" (and determined not to participate), but I was less aware that this started during pregnancy.  Advice would be one thing - annoying at times, but fine.  But so many people want to tell me what I must do.  I must deliver at this hospital, I must buy this one specific item, I must buy all of my maternity clothes at this store.  I am tired of explaining why I'm not delivering at the one hospital in Atlanta nicknamed "The Baby Factory."  Finding my way in things I do has always been important to me - be it finding a brand of something I like or the hospital I want to deliver at.  I have been surprised at how taken aback some people are when I don't just instantly follow the herd on certain things.  Second surprise: how much my belly grew in 4 weeks!!  (see below)
  • Cravings: Spicy food!  This has been fun for me because I generally do not like super spicy food.    And ice cream, still.


*This is late, I'm past 17 weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment